Thursday, June 16, 2011

The vine grows on!

On Saturday, I cut and distributed the winter melon to my neighbours and friends. From the centre of the melon which is more spaced out, it can be seen that this melon has grown larger and longer than most melons found in the market which have compact centres.



I had thought of uprooting the winter melon plant once I harvested the melon two weeks ago but then there were signs of more melons developing - so I left the plant alone. Those potential melons died but new ones started developing. Just earlier this week from under the green leaves, I discovered this 10-day old melon outside the fence. I will have to look into ways of securing it from being stolen or from falling into the drain.



Two other female flowers were spotted too - one outside the fence and the other within my garden. But from experience I think they do not look like they will survive!





This okra flower was photographed yesterday but has fallen off today without even having bloomed :(

No comments:

Post a Comment