Saturday, June 4, 2011

A Happy Day!

Today marks a great day, almost 5 months to the day I started my gardening. A first harvest - rather significant for me as the winter melon is the first plant that I had planted from seeds to finally culminated into a first harvest. The sole winter melon decided to "self-harvest" by breaking off from the vine in the heavy morning rain.

I quickly retrieved the prone melon when the rain stopped, trying my best not to further damage the skin as I struggled to move the heavy load from behind the pineapple plant. In the end I took a big piece of rag and laid it on the wet earth near the fallen melon and lightly heaved it over to the cloth before lifting it up to move it indoors to clean it up.

Here is how big it is :) 26.5 inches long, 30.5 inches in girth and 19 kg. The hair on the skin fell off easily when I wiped it and the skin became waxy and shiny. Indeed it is a deep green! For the record it took just 5 weeks for the winter melon to grow to this size!



Meanwhile the second fertilized female flower is looking rather shapely and I think it may survive yet!

1 comment: